Kozhukattai is a traditional snack of South India...amma used to prepare it as an after soon snack.....It is one of the healthiest snack with rice flour, jaggery, coconut. Hot water is poured into the rice powder, salt, and mixed with a spoon. When it is warm enough to handle, roll into small balls and put a tsp of scarped coconut and jaggery mix into it and again roll it into a ball and steam it.
Rice flour: 2 cup.(easily available in Indian Stores).
Water: 1 1/2 cups-2 cups.
Salt: 1/2 tsp.
Grated coconut: 1/2-1 cup.
Palm jaggery/jaggery: Grated or crushed, about 1/2 cup.
1 or 2 drops of oil to grease your hand.
Cardamom: 1 or 2, crushed.
1. Mix coconut, jaggery, cardamom and keep aside.
2. Boil water with salt in a pan...add 1 or 2 drops of oil...when it is boiled and pour it little by little over the rice flour mixing with a spoon and make it into a soft dough...the water is just enough to make it into a dough.
3. Make small balls with the dough and put a tsp of the coconut mix in the middle and close the dough and shape it back into a ball.
4. Put the coconut filled balls or kozhukattai in the steamer for 10 to 15 on low flame.
5. Steamed kozhukattai or rice balls are ready to serve.
Enjoy the surprise sweetness of the jaggery and coconut with the flavor of Cardamom when you bite into it.