Hi friends....sorry for this short break...I was down with viral fever....it was Cheriyan who brought the so-called-virus home from school and one-by-one all four of us fell sick.....now the best thing about being sick is that when you get sick.....the whole house will be like a war zone....total chaos....and when you go into deep slumber with the antibiotics and the virus playing inside ..... you will be awakened for asking how many tsp of detergent to be put in the washing machine or amma I am getting bored with Kanji (rice porridge) I need something special......while the only thing I would want to do is sleep and sleep and sleep.
Finally, I am back on my feet but the house do look like some war struck place and I frankly dont know from where to start....
Now coming to the Swiss Roll or Jam Roll as it is more commonly known in India. Our friends Jaya and Renil whenever they visit us.....they bring this Jam roll from Kanjirappally, a tiny village in Kerala ...it has wonderful pineapple jam/jelly spread in it and while I was searching for this recipe online I came across this wonderful fact about the jam roll which our wonderful friends bring from Kanjirappally...read on the passage which I found in Wikipedia... "A tiny village, Kanjirapally in the south Indian state of Kerala is the best known place for Jam Rolls. A special type of swiss roll with pineapple jelly filling was developed by Kunju's cake shop started in 1931. They use only organic raw materials and rolls are baked in wood-fired traditional oven".
A week ago I made pineapple jam and around that time I also started having this craving for that jam roll.....I have never made a jam roll before and since this is my first attempt I wanted it to be perfect.... I got the recipe from here.
Flour: 3/4 cup.
Baking Powder: 1/2 tsp.
Eggs, seperated: 4.
Powdered Sugar: 3/4 cup.
Vanilla essence: 1 tsp.
Salt. 1/4 tsp.
Pineapple Jam or Mixed fruit Jam: About 5 tbsp.
Caster sugar: About 1/4 cup for dusting.
1. Line a baking tray with greased butter paper (preferably fifteen-inch by ten-inch baking tray and keep aside).
2. Separate eggs and beat egg white stiff with salt and keep aside.(while beating egg whites make sure that the whisk and the plate is completely dry).
3. Beat the egg yolks until light. Continue beating and add the powdered sugar gradually, till creamy, add vanilla essence.
4. Sift flour with baking powder, gradually add into egg mixture and beat the batter smooth..
5. Fold in the egg whites into the batter.
5. Spread the batter into the prepared baking tray and bake in preheated oven for about 8 to 12 min.
6. Meanwhile take a kitchen towel and dust it with caster sugar or powdered sugar.
7. When the cake is done, while still hot turn the cake onto the powdered towel, trim the hard edges and carefully roll it up along with the towel. (this way the sponge is getting used to be rolled up, if we rolled it up when cooled it might break).
8. When cooled, unroll the sponge and spread lavishly with pineapple jam.
9. Reroll again sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut into slices. Serve with ice cream or plain.
Linking this to Fat Camp Friday, what's cookin in the kitchen, Its a keeper Thursday, Full plate Thursday, Foodie Friday, Friday Favorites, I'm lovin it friday, Feature yourself Friday, crafty friday,