Picture updated minus the grated carrot!
I made this as an after-school-surprise for my kids and believe me it was the most fluffiest and spongiest rolls....and it came out just fine in the first try...so that makes this special right??? I just added one grated carrot to the garlic mix .......the rolls were enough to satisfy two hungry kids. Nidhi had it with tomato sauce and she wanted me to bake another set to take to school and Cheriyan wanted the filling to be with chicken the next time....so I had some left over chicken fry and I added those shredded chicken pieces to the garlic mix and it came out just great too!!!
UPDATE/ Jun 15, 2016
Check out my video on how to make garlic rolls on tawa/skillet on the gas stove.
Ingredients for the dough:
Flour/maida: 1 1/2 cups.
Warm water: 1/2 cup.
Instant yeast: 1/2 tsp.
Salt: 1/2 tsp.
Sugar: 1 tbsp.
Olive oil/butter/ghee: 1-2 tsp.
To make garlic spread:
Salted butter: 5 to 6 tbsp.
Coriander leaves chopped: 2 tbsp.
Grated carrot: 1 (optional)
Minced garlic: 3 to 4 cloves.
1. Mix everything together with the warm water (except the oil) and bring it into a smooth dough. (Yes....you guessed right no need to ferment yeast separately.) Then add oil to your finger tips and knead until the dough springs back when you press with your finger.
2. Cover with a wet towel and keep in a warm place for 35 to 40 min...it will double its initial size. In the meantime make the garlic spread by mixing all the ingredients and keep aside.
3. Grease a baking dish and keep aside. Knock down the air in the dough and and divided the dough into 2 equal parts and roll the dough into 1/2 inch thickness using a rolling pin; apply flour to prevent sticking. Spread about 2 tbsp garlic spread on top.
4. Roll it firmly and cut into 4 equal parts and place them (cut side up) on the greased dish. Repeat the same procedure for the remaining dough.
5. Brush a little milk on the rolls and add the remaining garlic spread on top. Again cover it with a wet cloth and keep for another 20 min........bake them for 30 min in a preheated oven.
6. Just out of the oven!!!.
UPDATE: June 9th 2013-I updated the pictures, since I make this most weekends, in the updated picture, I did not add carrots, also I kept one of my old pic, to let me remind myself from where I started :). Thank you for all your support, my beautiful friends.
Here are some healthy recipes for you :)
Whole Wheat Garlic Rolls
Whole Wheat Garlic Knots: