Indian coffee house brings back fond memories of my Law college days....we used to wind up in the coffee house to have masala dosa.....the coffee house masala dosa is a bit different from other masala dosa....it is because they add beetroot to the masala.....frequent visits to the coffee house resulted in getting this recipe......after boiling potatoes, carrots and beetroot.....grate one beetroot to the masala while sauting as this gives the rich red colour......a bit more of Indian Coffee House.....it is a restaurant chain in India...there are nearly 400 coffee houses in India and Kerala has around 51 coffee houses. This recipe has been lying in my old recipe book and a recent visit to an Indian Coffee House here in Calicut brought back all the memories....
Make dosa batter and keep aside.
Beetroot: 2. (1 for boiling and 1 for grating).
Oil: 1 tsp.
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp.
Urad dal: 1/2 tsp.
Green chilly: 1 (optional).
Ginger: A small piece chopped.
Turmeric: 1/2 tsp.
Chilly powder: 1/2 to 1 tsp(Kashmiri red chilly).
1. Pressure cook the potatoes, carrots, and 1 beetroot and keep aside.
2. Heat 1 tsp of oil (very little oil is need here) in a kadai and put in mustard seeds, urad dal and let it splutter, then add sliced onion, ginger, green chilly, and curry leaves....saute for a min or two.
3. Add red chilly powder and turmeric and mix well.
4. Now add the cooked and mashed potatoes, carrots, and beetroot. Add salt and mix well. Grate one beetroot on top of it and cover a cook for 2 or 3 min. Mix well. The masala is ready....the grated beetroot gives the extra rich color.
5. 5. Pour dosa batter on a greased tawa.......put 2 tbsp of the masala on the center and spread it. Drizzle a bit of ghee on top and let it stand there for a min.
6. Cover the masala.
7. The Indian Coffee House masala is ready.
Serve hot with chutney.
Bring home the Indian Coffee House masala dosa.
Watch my video, I have made the masala dosa minus the beetroot and the carrot.....check it out.
Linking this to Aipi's and Priya's book marked recipes, Made from scratch.