It is one of the easiest and healthiest breakfast and best served with any spicy curry....veg or non veg.....some like it with sweetened coconut milk poured over it...my kids love it with just plain sugar.
Boiling water is poured into the rice flour, salt and mixed with a spoon to make it into a dough...it is allow to cool and then it is put into the idiyappam press and pressed into greased idli mould with a tsp of grated coconut and steamed till cooked.
Its a vegan breakfast.
Rice flour: 2 cups.(easily available in Indian stores.)
Water: 1 1/2 to 2 cups.
Salt: 1/2 tsp.
1 or 2 drops of coconut oil.
Grated coconut: 1/2 cup or as needed.
You will also need:
Idiyappam press and the idiyappam achu.
How I made them:
1. Boil water with salt in a pan...add 1 or 2 drops of oil...when it is boiled and pour it little by little over the rice flour mixing with a spoon and make it into a soft dough...the water is just enough to make it into a dough.
2. Allow it to cool and while still warm knead it with your hand into a soft dough.Soft rice dough is ready to use.
3. Spoon some dough into the idiyappam press...close the lid...and press the dough into greased idili plate/moulds which are garnished with grated coconut.
4. Ready to be steamed!!!
5. Place it into steamer and let it cook for 10-15 min.
6. Let the idiyappams cool for a while and transfer it into a plate....serve with any veg or non veg curry.
Healthy Vegan Breakfast.
To all my fellow Indians
Happy Republic day.