With Easter just around the corner, seasonal sweets are filling up the bakeries.....I actually made this addictive cappuccino muffins half a dozen times already.....it is quick and easy to mix.....no need to powder sugar or bring butter to room temperature.....and just one egg!!! and the surprise!! it is filled with ooey gooey chocolate chips....hmm coffee and chocolate.....HEAVEN!!!...you will be gifted with 12 pillow-soft coffee flavored-melted chocolate filled muffins....perfect for your Easter weekend.
Now why did I picture it beside Goofy......my son, Cheriyan was so addicted to these kids channels: Pogo, Cartoon Network, Jetix etc etc....since school closed for summer vacations he has been hooked on TV....so one night without anyone knowing I fine tuned all the kids channel into the place of other channels.....so, the next day when Cherry came to watch his fav programs he could'nt find any...and he blamed it on satellite error :)....anyways after that I could get him out of the house....mornings Nidhi and Cherry will ride their bicycles.....and slowly I started introducing him to comics....Good old comics !!! which I used to devour in the 80s.....so with no TV Cherry had plenty of time (he was not interested in any other channel).....so we both pulled out old comics.....and he was so engrossed in Mickey, Donald, Phantom, Mandrake....that he really started enjoying them....and guess what when I was making these muffins...I saw some drawings on the table......apparently Cherry drew them........and I was surprised and happy that I could bring out his hidden talent.....and glad that I could get him out of the house and away from the idiot box.
Now about the muffins, I dedicate this to all the coffee lovers.....and this one holds a special place in my kitchen because.....this is the first muffin/bake.....which Nidhi has made....now whenever she gets that mood to make something.....she bakes this....all by herself......she is waiting for school to open...so she can show off her baking skills to her friends at school.
Recipe Source: The Pioneer Woman.
I tweaked the orginal recipe a bit....it had only 1/4 cup of melted margarine, I increased it to 1/2 cup.
UPDATE: Dec 6, 2011: Add 1 tsp cocoa powder and 1 tsp coffee powder to get a more chocolatey taste.
Instant coffee: 2 tsp, I used Nescafe.
Warm milk: 1/2 cup.
Melted butter or margarine: 1/2 cup, I used veg shortening (Dalda).
Egg: 1 whole.
Vanilla essence: 1 tsp.
Flour: 1 cup.
Sugar: 1/2 cup.
Baking powder: 1 1/2 tsp.
Cinnamon powder: 1 tsp (optional, I dint use).
Salt: 1/2 tsp.
Chocolate chips: 1 cup.
1. Warm 1/2 cup milk, dissolve 2 tsp of instant coffee powder and mix well.
2. Lightly beat 1 egg, keep aside. Melt 1/2 cup butter or margarine, add 1/2 cup sugar and mix well. Now add the beaten egg, vanilla essence, and coffee-milk mixture. Whisk lightly.
3. In a separate bowl whisk together 1 cup flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, and cinnamon powder (if using). Dunk this into the wet mixture.
4. Mix together nicely....work your arms here ladies :).Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips and mix well again. If the batter is very thick can add 2 or 3 tbsp of milk.
5. Grease or line your muffin tins with paper liners. Fill the muffin cups 2/3 full with batter and sprinkle some more chocolate chips. Bake in a preheated oven for 20 to 25 min.
6. Cool completely.
Enjoy the goodness of coffee and chocolate right in your home!!!